Tuesday, October 4, 2011

#89


Tonight on my drive home from work I was thinking about what I was going to make for dinner. I knew we had pork chops in the freezer and a box of scallop potatoes in the cupboard...and that seemed to be okay. Then I remembered last night I had made homemade baked french fries and had peeled 2 potatoes too many so I had put them in the fridge to use later. So instead of pulling out the box of scallop potatoes I decided to make my own! Just like anytime I need a recipe, I pulled out my computer and google search scalloped potato recipes and this is what I found...

A basic scalloped potatoes recipe baked in the oven.

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

Yield: Serves 6 to 8

Ingredients:

  • 4 cups thinly sliced potatoes, about 6 to 8 medium potatoes
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 cups scalded milk
  • 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Preparation:

In a buttered 2-quart baking dish, place a layer of about 1/3 of the potatoes. In a cup or small bowl, combine flour with salt and pepper. Sprinkle about half of the flour mixture over the potatoes; repeat with another layer of potatoes and the flour mixture and top with remaining potato slices. Dot with butter then pour hot milk over potatoes. Cover and bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle cheese over the top. Return to the oven and bake, uncovered, for an additional 15 minutes, or until scalloped potatoes are tender and cheese has melted. Scalloped potatoes serves 6 to 8.
Here is the link: http://southernfood.about.com/od/scallopedpotatoes/r/bl30129v.htm

I wasn't real sure how big a 2 quart pan was so I just used my 8x8 glass dish. And just like always, I didn't measure the amount of potatoes I used. I think I used 6 or so small/med. ones peeled. Here it is ready to go into the oven (minus the foil)

I set the timer and off to prep the pork chops I went. When I put the pork chops in, the oven was beginning to smell delicious, but once the timer went off after 45 min. I realized the milk had boiled over and made a complete burnt mess inside the oven and all over the edge of the pan...bummer. But I kept going. I added the cheese and stuck it back in the oven for 15 additional minutes.
(I forgot to take a pic before putting it back in the oven)

Here it is after 15 more minutes:

(notice the burnt edges)

Overall I think these were a hit. I thought they were delicious! I think next time I will add some garlic though!!! P.S. it was SUPER easy...besides the 2 year old I was having to walk around while cooking...here are a few pics of her "cooking" like mommy :)









2 comments: