Friday, July 9, 2010

#89


I began my trek on #89, find 15 new dinner recipes. Ihave been wanting to make Vegetable Rice Pilaf since visiting my friend in Colorado last summer. Finally, I decided I needed to find a recipeand make it. I just googled searched Vegetable Rice Pilaf and found one I thought looked good on Cooks.com. I know this wasn't a whole new dinner recipe, however, it was the first time I had cooked catfish too, so I guess it was somewhat of an ALL new experience. The pilaf turned out all right. It called for white rice and all I hadwas brown rice, so after the said amount of cook time, the rice was not done,but all the liquid had been soaked up, so I had to pour an extra can of chicken broth in, and it was still somewhat crunchy :( The flavor was good, despite the fact I went a little overboard on the pepper :) I would try this recipe again, but maybe use more water with the chicken broth when cooking so the rice can get completely cooked.RECIPE:
Ingredients:
2 tbsp. butter
1 small onion, diced
1 celery stalk, diced (I used 2)
1/4 cup diced mushrooms (I used 4 mushrooms)
1 1/2 cup white rice (I used brown)
1/4 c. dry white wine (I used whatever white wine I had...Eola Hills Riesling...boy was it tasty while cooking)
2 1/4 cup chicken broth (I started w/ 1 can and ha
d to use a 2nd)
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
pinch salt, pepper and dried thyme

In a heavy saucepan melt butter over medium
high heat. Add onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, salt and thyme. Saute, tossing for about 3 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring until the
grains become translucent (about 2 minutes). Add
wine, and continue to cooke on high until nearly dr
y (about 2 minutes)
Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir, cover and lower heat. Simmer until liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender (about 17 min)
Remove from heat, stir in pepper and fresh parsley fluff w/ f
ork. Serves 4-6

**Well with all of my side notes, maybe mine didn't turn out because I didn't follow the recipe to a "T" oh well, it was worth a shot :)

1 comment:

  1. Good job Katy! You're rockin' and rollin' on this list of yours! :)

    ReplyDelete